Monday 15 August 2016

Italian sketchbook

Coliseum, Rome
On holiday we took minimal luggage as we were travelling everywhere by train and had to carry our bags a lot.  Minimal means different things to different people.  For me, it meant few clothes, books on Kindle on the iPad rather than paperbacks, a little bit of hand sewing, full SLR camera, sketchbook, pencils, pens etc.  
Archaeological Museum, Florence
I greatly enjoyed having the sketchbook with me, especially as it was so hot - sitting drawing/doodling was more relaxing than trying to pack in seeing too many things.  It also kept me occupied on train journeys and in the evenings. 
Large tomato from the market
One of the nicest things was sketching in a museum with the kids.  When they got bored, they headed off with the camera whilst I continued sketching.  We have some interesting photos from these museums! 
Large, fresh porcini mushroom from the market
These are a selection of some of my more successful pages.  No, I am not going to share the terrible drawing of Mount Vesuvius looking like a pair of boobs! Even the kids noticed it. 
Stones at the Forum, in Rome
I think this is important to mention as so many people get intimidated by the beautiful work that others share and imagine that all of their work is amazing (I can be just as guilty of this too).  It's useful to remember that what people choose to share is selective and to get to the good drawings, most artists have to plough their way through lots of dross too.

Half a Roman streetlight - I ran out of time to finish it

Based on the crenulations at Sirmione

Based on the millefiore patterns in Murano glass


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that you mention "terrible drawings". I am not often intimidated by the wonderful work I see (sometimes a little envious) but I often wonder why people don't share their mistakes and say what they learned from them. That would be so useful. I find that a lot of patchwork and quilting blogs describe what they are doing and then there is the Ta-daa! picture. I'd love to know more about the journey from one to the other. Maybe it depends on whether blogs are used as a showcase of work as opposed to a way of sharing knowledge or development.

Gillian Cooper said...

I agree Lesley, it is lovely to see how something is made rather than just the final result. I try hard to give as much detail as possible, but sometimes I forget to photograph as I go along as I'm so into creating the work or I make the work and only realise afterwards that I want to share it, but don't have the process information.
I put a link on my newer blogpost on the 2016 Festival of Quilts to Laura Kemshall's blogpost, where she goes through her fascinating process in detail. Well worth a look.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts