Friday 27 February 2015

Four Landscape Fabric Postcards for the Stitching Show

Tree by Gillian Cooper
Next week I have a stand and a workshop at the new Stitching Show at the SECC in Glasgow.  It is a very exciting event for me, although it came about in sad circumstances as the reason I am doing this is because the Studio, Loch Lomond couldn't take the place, so they asked if I could take advantage of it.  
Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I immediately said yes, whilst inwardly panicking about how I was going to fit it in with the two solo exhibitions I have this winter and it has also given me the impetus to set up teaching classes from my home studio (more shortly).  
Marshes by Gillian Cooper
So I had to think of a quick and easy, preferably hand stitch and limited mess 1 hour workshop rather fast.  I thought making a little landscape postcard would fit nicely.  This week I've been making the samples and packing the kit.
Sunset over sea by Gillian Cooper
Whilst the idea does fit nicely, executing it has proved harder as I haven't done any landscapes or work this small for years and so it has taken some time to get into the mindset.  I think I'm there now, but you should know that I'm not showing you my first effort, which was truly awful and had me really worried about whether I would be able to deliver what I had promised - it would have been a lot easier with a sewing machine, adding details in paint rather than the strict guidelines of fabric and hand stitch.  It's amazing how much my work has changed as that's exactly where I started out and now it proves challenging!
Fields and flowers by Gillian Cooper
Now I'm enjoying making these little pieces daily.  It's good to try something different and hopefully if you are at the Show next week, you'll come and say hello and maybe take the workshop - it's at 3.15 each day. 

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Well done for thinking fast on your feet, Gillian! I hope the show and workshop go well for you.

Gillian Cooper said...

Thanks Margaret. It's the first time I've tried something like this so it has been hard work

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts